Natives – trading as Native Trees - began as a vision from a group of Ngati Kuri people. It has become a reality as a result of developing working relationships with the department of Conservation (Kaitaia Area Office) and New Zealand transport Agency (NZTA).
This lead to Natives winning the current NZTA contract to provide over 300 000 eco sourced native trees. Some of these were used on the much needed Cape Reinga/SH1 Upgrade and road sealing project. The remainder of these were used to as part of a major contract for DOC.
Seed collected from Te Rerenga Wairua has had an integral role in the establishment of our native plant and tree nursery.
Wayne Petera a partner in Natives, currently advises the department of Conservation on cultural and historical matters pertaining to the area. Wayne is also instrumental in the liaison required for the comprehensive interpretation underway. Our passion and commitment is to help heal the scars from the past by restoring native vegetation. Much work has been done. Much is still to be done.
- Re - vegetation of Te Rerenga Wairua via the ‘Seed for the Future’ project.
- Eco sourcing and propagation of native trees in our main nursery in the Far North.
- Native tree sales.
- Revegetation contracts with Transit NZ - NZTA(New Zealand Transport Agency) and DOC.
- Training providers through North Tec’s national and regional certificate in Horticulture and Sustainable Rural development papers
- Actively seeking other native tree planting or re-vegetation contracts.